Throughout the nineties and noughties many of us fell victim to the over-plucked eyebrow trend that left them looking perpetually surprised and… well… channelling Marlene Dietrich. Growing up in that era there was a lot of Gwen Stefani on my TV screen, and even in high school I plucked a few hairs here and there from which I have sadly never recovered. Unfortunately, this has left me with a few “bald spots” which are notoriously difficult to hide, and appear to be unrelenting in their desire to keep me from gorgeous, bushy Delevingnesque brows.
In any case, since 2010, these bushy brows have been on the up and up, and for good reason. Brows are such an important part of the face, framing your features as you’ve no doubt heard from every women’s magazine ever sold. Thicker brows look more youthful, and whether you keep them carefully sculpted or prefer them bushy, they add wonderful drama to your face. Where I previously felt “done” with a lick of mascara and a swatch of lipgloss, now my makeup doesn’t really feel complete without my #eyebrowsonfleek .
There are plenty of products on the market to help compensate for those bald patches lost to the 90s & early 2000s, but as I have a few bald patches that don’t cooperate well with powder, I love a good wax based product to stick and stay put all day. Anastasia’s DipBrow Pomade and MAC’s Fluidline Brow Gel are darlings of the blogosphere, and are sworn favourites of many beauty bloggers. However, given their ingredients list despite how amazing they looked in store, I couldn’t justify buying these products. I set about finding a natural alternative, and I was so lucky it was but a Google away.
EcoBrow was created by the amazingly talented Marco Ochoa, a well known brow artist who has worked with many celebrities, and is famous for his gorgeous, yet natural brows. Aside from running a successful brow studio (including fans like Camila Alves!), he decided to develop a brow product that could achieve stunning results, with natural ingredients, and minimal ecological impact.
I had been lusting after his EcoBrow product for months, and was so excited to have it arrive as an early Christmas present from my amazing boyfriend (thanks babe!). I’ve been trialling it for about two weeks now and am pleased to say that I couldn’t have hoped for a better result. The product is so easy to apply, doesn’t cause my skin to break out, and is capable of crafting multiple looks from a natural touch up to party glam… which is why I thought I would share a few of my favourite looks to inspire this summer party season!
Natural Beach Brows
To me, summer is all about hanging out at the beach and soaking up some rays. This brow look will take you from sun session at the beach to backyard BBQ no problem. It’s easy enough to wip up in the car (if you’re in the passenger’s seat!) and only takes a few minutes. It looks groomed, but not overdone, and is the perfect look to frame your face if you’re not looking at making statement brows.
- Optionally comb your brows in the direction of hair growth with a spoolie brush
- Take a small amount of EcoBrow defining brow wax on an angled brush
- Starting in the middle of your brow, gently sweep the brush in small strokes in the direction of hair growth to fill in
- While the brush is still loaded (you may need to pick up a little extra product), fill in the thin end of the line, releasing pressure on the brush as you go out to create a very fine tapered line at the end
- With the product you have left on the brush, fill in the front section of the brow as per step 3
- If you want a sharper look, while there is only a little product on the brush, make a straight line across the top and bottom of your brows to define
- Optionally comb with a spoolie again to fix any out of place hairs
Metallic Foiled Brows
Not for the faint of heart, this brow look is perfect if you have a big New Years party planned and you want to make a splash. Metallic bows have been popping up on catwalks here and there over the past few years, but who says this look has to stay on the runway? It’s simple to do, and you can use your favourite eyeshadow to tone in with the rest of your eye makeup too (or go for something totally different!). The same technique can be used for other coloured eyeshadows or pigments too.
- Follow the steps for the Gradient Brows below with your EcoBrow or other defining wax
- Using your preferred eyeshadow brush, add eyeshadow of choice to the front portion of the brow and gently feather into the mid portion for a faded effect
- For a higher-shine foiled look, or if you’re using loose pigment (like these beauties) simply wet the brush a little first
- Using an angled or flat eyeliner brush with your shadow or pigment, carve out the outline of the brows along the top and bottom
- Optionally, lock the brows in place with a little clear wax like this
All over Instagram, gradient brows have been popularised by Kim K and many “Instamodels” with seemingly super-human makeup skills. Fortunately, they’re actually fairly simple to achieve. If you’re any good at eyeliner, or if you otherwise have a steady hand, you’ll be churning these babies out in under five minutes.
- With a medium amount of EcoBrow on your brush, fill in the middle and tail portion of the brow with an angled brush. For greater precision, I prefer to use a smaller angled brush with fairly dense bristles in a fine line.
- Using the product remaining on your brush (or a little extra if needed) draw a very fine and precise line on the underside of the brow from the beginning of the brow to the arch
- Gently feather the product inwards towards the beginning of the brows, using progressively less and less product
- If a sharp finish is desired, lie your angle brush vertically and gently press/stroke at the end of the brow to give a straight lined boxy finish
- If areas look too dark, gently brush them out with a clean brush or a spoolie
- For the perfect Kim K look brows, frame the outside of your brows with concealer. It should be skin toned, or ever so slightly lighter. Avoid using any concealer more than a shade lighter than the rest of your face unless you are after #concealerbrows aka #halobrows
- In true Kim K style, you had better highlight that brow bone too
Thick but still perfectly defined, these brows don’t mess with anyone. They mean business. If you’re like me and have over-plucked in your life, these brows will be a little overdrawn, but thanks to EcoBrow that won’t be a problem. Enjoy the thick brows you’ve dreamed of, and don’t you dare forget some fierce eyeliner.
- Follow all steps as per Gradient Brows, but thicken up and flatten out the arches by overdrawing them slightly
- When drawing the tail, keep it a little thicker, rather than tapering out to an ultra-fine, long end
- With the remaining product, feather into the front of the brow more darkly
- Add some clear wax to the front portion of the brow and brush to perfection with a spoil
- Slap on some serious cat-eye and your boldest lippy (that’s meant to be aubergine coloured lipgloss by the way!)
I hope you enjoyed checking out these brow looks as much as I enjoyed creating them. Don’t forget to comment below, and make sure you share pictures on our Facebook page if you attempt any of the looks, or tag us on Instagram.
To #BetterBrows in 2016!
Happy New Year!