If you’re after a delicious and chocolatey treat to add to your Christmas selection, without the usual sugar overload that comes at this time of the year, then this is your guy. These bars got the seal of approval from all three generations of my family, and they will be on hand for snacking throughout the silly season in our house, so I thought I would share the recipe to spread some Christmas cheer. I also couldn’t wait to share a sneak peek of our photoshoot with the talented Maria Brown who shot this gorgeous pic for us! More to come- I can’t wait!
With these bars, I wanted to make something along the lines of the LCM bars I was obsessed with as a kid, that had nice crunchy and poppy bits in the middle of all that chocolate, and I have discovered that toasted Buckwheat groats do just the trick. You could also sub out chocolate for other flavours, or miss it all together and just have crunchy cranberry (or other dried fruit) muesli bars- too many options! too easy!
Paleo Primal Vegan Gluten Free Refined Sugar Free
- Blend the dates until they just start to form a paste (some small chunks are okay and give a nice texture too!). Don’t over blend, as you will end up with a sticky ball that can be hard to disperse evenly when you add the other ingredients.
- Add in all the dry ingredients and blend until combined
- With the food processor on medium low, add the coconut oil one spoonful at a time
- Pour mix into a square tray or container and spread out using the back of a spoon or a metal spatula that has been run under hot water
- Place in the freezer and set for five to ten minutes
- Run a sharp knife under hot water and slice into bars or small bite-sized squares while still in the tray (it will crack and crumble if you try to slice it once fully set).
- Return the tray to the freezer to finish setting until you’re ready to eat them